Pumpkin Pancakes/Arepa di Papoena
This recipe version of Pumpkin Pancakes and also know as Arepa di Papoena, is one of the most popular ones used on of Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire. Enjoy!
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Sugar to taste
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 lb of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla abstract
- 4 eggs
- salt to taste
- Raisin (optional)
- Oil for frying.
- Peel the pumpkin and remove all the seeds
- Diced up the pumpkin,since it and put it to boil until soft
- Drain and let the punpkin cool down
- In a bowl, add the boiled pumpkin, cinnamon,sugar,baking powder, flour and milk.
- Beat the eggs in a different container and add salt and the vanilla and then add them all to the pumpkin bowl
- Mix the mixture well together
- Add raisins if desire
- In a frying pan, pour a thin layer of oil in it and put it on low to medium heat
- When oil is hot, with a large spoon, slowly pour the content of the mixture into the oil and let it fry
- When on side is completely cooked, gently flip them over.
- When both sides are cooked take it out and pour another set of mixture into the oil.
- Add more oil if needed. When adding oil, allow the oil to get hot again